Saturday, February 21, 2009

EDD732 on Analysis of Policymaking Development in the USA (UOP)

Register for a free online workshop on Wikieducator to find out how you can use Wikieducator to collaborate and share content worldwide.

The past weeks have gone by very quickly. I had very little knowledge of the policymaking process before the course. The course helped me understand that policy development is a complex process with many variables that need consideration and teamwork to ensure successful development and implementation. (Cooper, Fusarelli & Randall, 2004). Normative, structural, constituentive, and technical dimensions can help explain the complexities but do make things any simpler (Cooper, Fasarelli & Randall, 2004). The reason for the complexities are multiple ideas (normative) on what needs changing, by whom (structural and constituentive), and how (technical). Professional workshops would help members learn how to listen and collaborate with all the stakeholders involved. Learning to listen in order to gain information will unite and increase collaboration among the constituents and the policymakers (Rouk, 2000).

I liked the idea of "study circle dialogues" that can provide policymakers with information from experts in the field of education as well as from parents, students, and the community (Rouk, 2000). The study circles help policymakers gain a better understanding of the public needs and interests (Rouk, 2000). Policymakers need to learn to relate to a diverse population with multiple ideas (Cooper et al., 2004). The policymaking process must include professional development in self and social awareness. It is important for policymakers to improve their understanding of the different. Training can provide the tools on how to improve relational processes at a learning organization so that learners will be treated fairly (Chernis & Goleman, 2001). Emotional and moral teachings can help policymakers learn about themselves and the way they relate to differences. The focus should be on relating to conflicting interests as an asset and not a barrier (Chernis & Goleman, 2001). I believe that becoming aware of our selves and social awareness are the keys to a better understanding and acceptance of different opinions. The class discussions exemplify the kind of social awareness and respect of others' that policymakers should have.

Dr. Williams has done an incredible job at evaluating individual and teams papers on the second final course on Contemporary Policy Analysis and Development (EDD732). EDD 732 Contemporary Policy Analysis and Development provided me with an excellent background on the political environment educational leaders must understand policy development, implementation, and analysis at the federal, state, local and institutional levels in the United States of America. I gained a good perspective on contemporary educational policy at all levels and investigated two policies, IDEA and Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008. I learned about the complexity of political relations and the factors that influence these interactions. I would like thank my fellow classmates at the University of Phoenix and my instructor. I learned a great deal from the class discussions and teamwork onjavascript:void(0) the debate and team paper on IDEA. I also learned from my instructors assessments. I hope our paths cross as we continue to engage in improving instruction and learning.

I would like to add that I found the topic of Dr. Williams' dissertation (2006)very relevant to what I do online as I attempt to engage educators in collaborative learning. Teachers at all levels find that the process of online collaboration enriches their personal and professional lives. I belong to Webheads in Action (WIA) a professional community of learners who teach English as a foreign and second language worldwide. As a Webhead and the EVO09- TESOL initiative, I have been co-moderating a free online course on a voluntary basis with 3 other educators called digifolios on digital ID and personal learning spaces. The final results produced by the online teams and the feedback has been creative and heartwarming. I believe EDD732 has had a contribution to making digifolios ning a success.

I am sad that we will be parting soon. As much as the courses take a lot of my time, they are great learning environments. I have enjoyed learning by discussions and writing individual and team papers.

I would like to thank Dr. Williams for doing a great job in facilitating the class.

I have one more formal course to go before I attend to chapters 1-3 and my research project.

References used in the implications and conclusion part:

Chernis, C., & Goleman, D. (2001). The emotionally intelligent workplace: How to select for, measure, and improve emotional intelligence in individuals, groups, and organizations. San Francisco: Jossey-Bas

Cooper, B. S., Fusarelli, L. D. & Randall E. V. (2004). Better policies, better schools: theories and application. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.

Rouk, U. (2000, November). Policymakers build bridges to the public. Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (SEDL), 13, Retrieved February 11, 2009, from http://www.sedl.org.

No comments: